British nationals told to leave China over virus risk
LONDON, Feb 4, 2020 (BSS/AFP) – All British nationals were advised Tuesday
to leave China “if they can” to minimise their risk of exposure to the deadly
The Foreign Office in London said it was working on arrangements to
evacuate any remaining British nationals from Hubei province who wish to
“We now advise British Nationals in China to leave the country if they
can, to minimise their risk of exposure to the virus,” Foreign Secretary
Dominic Raab said.
“Where there are still British nationals in Hubei province who wish to be
evacuated, we will continue to work around the clock to facilitate this.”
Britain on Saturday said it was temporarily withdrawing some staff and
their families from its diplomatic sites in China, as Beijing struggled to
contain the nationwide outbreak.
Two people tested positive last week for the SARS-like virus in Britain.
Both had travelled to China recently.
Some 83 British citizens arrived home on Friday on a UK government-
chartered flight from Wuhan, the Chinese city at the centre of the epidemic.
They are now in isolation for 14 days.