Spain says 8,000 migrants entered Ceuta, half sent back
MADRID, May 18, 2021 (BSS/AFP) – Around 8,000 migrants have arrived
in Spain’s north African enclave of Ceuta since Monday, and around
half have been sent back to Morocco, the Spanish government said
Madrid will send another 50 police officers to the territory, in
addition to the 200 already announced, to boost border controls, it
added in a statement.
“In addition another 150 officers are on alert in case their
deployment to Ceuta is needed,” the statement said.
The government said it had set up a system to “streamline” the
return of migrants to Morocco from Ceuta that could “operate 24 hours
Earlier on Tuesday Spanish Foreign Minister Arancha Gonzalez Laya
asked Morocco “for a commitment to continue returning all those
citizens who have entered our country irregularly, in accordance with
the protocols in force between Spain and Morocco.”