Deaths from truck bomb blast rise to 14: Afghan official
KANDAHAR, Afghanistan, Nov 9, 2020 (BSS/XINHUA) – The death toll from a truck bomb explosion in Afghanistan’s southern Kandahar province has risen to 14 while 49 other people were wounded, according to a health official on Monday.
The blast occurred when an explosive-laden truck blew off outside a highway police camp near the Maiwand district bazaar roughly at 8:00 p.m. local time on Sunday.
“Thirteen killed and 49 wounded were admitted at Mirwis Hospital in provincial capital Kandahar city. The affected people included police personnel and civilians,” Ashraf Nadiri, director of Kandahar Public Health Directorate, told Xinhua.
He did not disclose the exact number of civilian victims in the deadly incident, but said the suicide bomber was also killed.
No group has claimed responsibility for the incident so far. However, local officials blamed the Taliban militant group for the attack.
The blast came as government security forces continued to mount pressure on the militants. At least 32 Taliban militants were killed and 17 others wounded in a series of airstrikes and ground battles in three provinces since late Sunday, Afghanistan’s defense ministry said in a statement issued earlier in the day.