Bangladesh to become developed nation if present leadership continues: lawmakers

3567

SANGSAD BHABAN, Feb 17, 2020 (BSS) – Lawmakers today said Bangladesh has already become a digitalized country as per the pledge given by Awami League government and it would be a developed one if the present leadership is continued.

They thanked the President for his time-worthy speech, saying that President Abdul Hamid in his 163-page speech has projected the government’s success in all sectors in the last 11 years under the leadership of Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina and outlined the government’s future plans for transforming the country into a developed and prosperous one by 2041.

Taking part in the discussion on the thanks giving motion on President Abdul Hamid’s January 9 address in parliament, Home Minister Asaduzzaman said the President in his speech projected the detailed scenarios of the success in different sectors by the Sheikh Hasina led present government.

Terming the Prime Minister as a visionary leader, the home minister said after coming to power in 2008, the Prime Minister had committed to changing the country as it was earlier a state of food deficit and ‘champion in corruption’.

“But, due to the leadership of Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina, the country is now sufficiency in food. And even the country’s power generation has increased to four times higher than that of BNP-Jammat regime,” the home minister added.

Addressing on the thanks giving motion, Local Government, Rural Development and Cooperatives Tajul Islam said the present government has ensured around 90 per cent pure water supply in all the municipality areas across the country and we are working now for achieving the rest 10 per cent.

On the celebration of the birth centenary of the Father of the Nation Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman, Tajul said the government set elaborate development programmes under the LGRD ministry which is only to fulfill the dream of Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman.

Treasury bench lawmakers Anwar Hossain Khan and Whip Iqbalur Rahim, Anwar Hossain Monju of Jatiya Party (JP) also took part in the discussion with Speaker Dr Shirin Sharmin Chaudhury in the chair. Taking part in the discussion, Agriculture Minister Dr Abdur Razzaque said after coming to power, country’s growth rate was nearly 7 per cent, but it was 8.2 per cent in last year.

In 2008, country’s poverty rate was 40 per cent and the target of the Millennium Development Goals (MDG) was to bring down it by 28 per cent by 2015, said the minister, adding that “the present government led by Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina has made it possible to bring down it [poverty] at 22 per cent by the stipulated time.”

So, the poverty rate now stands at 20 per cent and the extreme poverty rate also have declined to 10 per cent from its earlier level of 17 per cent in 2008, he added. Earlier, the lawmakers paid rich tributes to Father of the Nation Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman for his sacrifice and contribution to establish an independent Bangladesh.

They also paid rich tributes to the national four leaders and martyrs of 1975 carnage.