Drive against river, wetland encroachment starts Feb 23
DHAKA, Feb 13, 2020 (BSS) – The eviction drive against illegal establishments on the bank of rivers, cannel and government wetlands across the country will be launched on February 23 next with the initiative of Water Resources Ministry.
Water Resources Secretary Kabir-Bin Anwar today made the announcement while discussing with concern officers of 64 districts through a videoconferencing at the ministry’s conference room here, said a press release.
Water Resources Ministry has taken the initiative after completion of the first phase of countrywide eviction drive started on December 23 last year by Water Development Board and respective district administrations.
“We started getting the benefit of the first phase of the drive that saw eviction of a total of 40,000 illegal establishments,” Kabir-Bin Anwar said.
He said they evicted around five thousand more establishments in the first phase and recovered 600 acres of land in the country. He expressed his hope that no mercy will be shown in eviction drive against illegal occupation.
He asked the concerned district administration and Water Development Board for increasing surveillance to sand mining in target areas.
He said the people who became homeless due to river erosion and poor people as well will be rehabilitating on Ashrayan Project or other places.
Joint Water Resources Secretary Mantu Kumar Biswas and Water Development Board Director General KM Anwar Hossain, among others, were present on the occasion.