WTA Hong Kong tennis postponed following protests
HONG KONG, Sept 13, 2019 (BSS/AFP) – The WTA Hong Kong Open women’s tennis
tournament has been postponed, organisers said on Friday, citing the “present
situation” after months of sometimes violent pro-democracy protests.
“In light of the present situation, Hong Kong Tennis Association and the
WTA are announcing a postponement of the 2019 Hong Kong Tennis Open,” a Hong
Kong Tennis Association statement said.
“After extensive discussions with our key stakeholders, we conclude that a
smooth running of the tournament can be better assured at a later time,” it
The Hong Kong Open, which was scheduled for October 5-13, has previously
attracted a number of top players including Venus Williams, Angelique Kerber
and Caroline Wozniacki, the 2016 champion.
It is played at Victoria Park, one of the main gathering points for the
mass protests that erupted more than three months ago over the erosion of
freedoms under Beijing’s rule.
Millions have taken part in the demonstrations, which were initially
triggered by a bill, since scrapped, to allow extraditions to mainland China.